The Sewall Foundation considers the following general factors in reviewing applications for funding. These factors are combined with the criteria specific to each grant program.
- Alignment with Sewall Foundation Values
- Extent to which work builds social equity and engages community
- Potential impact and reach including population served, community need and degree of anticipated impact
- Organizational capacity, including effectiveness of leadership (board and staff), ability to achieve objectives, and organizational financial health
- Results of past Sewall funding and timely reporting, when applicable
- Focus of work is Maine